I know it’s no secret how much I love pumpkin everything. I’m just basic like that. But y’all. These pumpkin cupcakes are so freaking good you won’t be able to stand it. The pumpkin makes them super moist (I know people hate that word so I’m sorry) and paired with the cream cheese frosting, they are positively scrumptious.
Liam is having his first “party” at daycare and I was the extra Mom who signed up to bring pumpkin cupcakes because I panicked and didn’t know what to sign up for. Turns out, all of the other parents took a much easier approach of pretzels, fruit snacks and Goldfish. I got home and told Tyler I signed up to make pumpkin cupcakes and he responded with, “Always sign up to bring paper products or a 2 Liter.” Clearly they’re not going to be serving a bunch of toddlers soda so that’s out but hopefully next time I won’t be quite so ambitious.
Truth be told, I typically make this recipe as a cake in a bundt pan so I was a little surprised when I adapted it for cupcakes and it made 24 cupcakes and an entire mini muffin pan full! Needless to say, we had plenty to sample for quality control before sending them to daycare. I even used the mini muffin pan ones as little “muffin bites” without frosting which, just a warning, you can pop like tic tacs!
These super cute spider cupcake holders are from Amazon.
I promise if you make these cupcakes for an upcoming Halloween party or even a Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving get-together, you will be asked for the recipe at least twice. Actually my favorite memory of these cupcakes (I was making it as a cake) was when Tyler and I were dating and I was hosting my first Thanksgiving. He was helping me prep the night before and I was icing the cake and he was grinding up Oreos in the food processor for Oreo Truffles. As you may have guessed, the top wasn’t on all the way and Oreo crumbs went allllll over the iced part of the cake and my kitchen. We had a good laugh about it and the cake had a little “je ne sais quoi”.
Oh, and he’s going to kill me for sharing that story. 🙂
- 2 C white sugar
- 1 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 C canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 3 t baking powder
- 2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t pumpkin pie spice
- 2 C confectioners sugar
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 2 t vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a stand mixer until well combined.
- Add remaining 6 ingredients in a separate bowl and add slowly to the stand mixer to incorporate to the wet mixture.
- Once mixed, fill a cupcake pan with muffin liners and add batter until 3/4 full.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Note: If making this as a cake, use a bundt pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and adjust baking time to 35-40 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixer with the beater attachment on until fully combined. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.